Introduction to SISO
The Singapore Institution of Safety Officers is a professional organisation providing representation, promotion, and support for members engaged in the practices of Workplace Safety and Health towards the protection of people, property, and the environment.
To be the leading Institution representing Workplace Safety and Health professionals in Singapore.
- SISO shall establish professional development opportunities to enhance the competence and status of our members.
- SISO shall seek to promote and uphold high standards of professional practice among our members.
The objectives of the Institution are to:
- Develop and promote high standards of professional ethics and practice among members.
- Provide and/or facilitate continual professional development opportunities to enhance the competence of members
- Cultivate affiliation and cooperation with other national and international Occupation Safety and Health organisations to encourage and participate in the development of the profession and to position the Institution on par with similar international organisations.
SISO was appointed by the Singapore Workforce Development Agency as a Continuing Education and Training Centre since 1st April 2014. SISO is one of only five CET Centres that offer WSQ Workplace Safety and Health training courses for those who aspire to enter the workplace safety and health profession and WSH Professionals who want to upgrade their WSH skills and knowledge.
In July 2013, SISO signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Sports Singapore to conduct risk assessments for sports venues for the 28th South East Asian Games which was held in Singapore from 5th to 16th June 2015. With about 100 SISO members working as volunteers, SISO successfully contributed to the safety aspects of the 28th SEA Games.
On the international front, SISO is a member of the International Network of Safety & Health Practitioner Organisations (INSHPO) and has a representative in INSHPO’s Executive Committee. INSHPO has fourteen member organisations representing the interests of 150,000 WSH professionals worldwide.
Besides INSHPO, SISO is also a member of the Asia Pacific Occupational Safety and Health Organisation (APOSHO). As at April 2015, APOSHO has a membership base of 29 Organisations from 16 countries and districts.